Thursday, June 10, 2010

The Secret in Their Eyes (El secreto de sus ojos)


I don’t really know what Roger Ebert means when he says Juan José Campanella’s The Secret in Their Eyes is “a real movie, the kind they literally don’t make very much anymore.”  While there are many things I like about Ebert, the comment just strikes me as unreflective nostalgia.  However, the movie is awfully good.   And, to add something that people do not usually comment on in film reviews, the make-up and hair designers really deserve their own Oscars.  For a while I wasn’t even sure Soledad Villamil was in fact playing her character in both its older and younger incarnations. 

I don’t want to reveal too much, but the movie takes place against the political backdrop of 1970s Argentina, remembered from a more contemporary perspective.  As much as anything, the film is about the lingering effects of the emergent fascism of the period, and trying to move beyond them.

No comments:

Post a Comment