Friday, January 28, 2011

2011 Best Translated Book Award Longlist

Yesterday the longlist for the 2011 Best Translated Book Award went up over at Three Percent. I've been eagerly anticipating the release: last year's longlist, and more importantly the book-by-book discussion Three Percent hosted (and promises to again this year), highlighted a lot of books I hadn't heard of and promptly put on my to-read list when I did. I got around to reading a few of those this year--Death in Spring (pre-blog: but I loved it), Op Oloop, Rex--and I hope to get to a few more this year or sometime in the future.

I actually read one book that would have qualified for this year's list, Alejandro Zambra's The Private Lives of Trees, but it didn't make the cut. Otherwise, I was already looking forward to César Aira's The Literary Conference after my recent read of Ghosts. The rest of this year's list I know next to nothing about, so I will look forward to reading the descriptions over the coming months and finding lots of things to put on the "to read" shelf.

1 comment:

  1. Last year this list gave me a few great reads. The confessions of Noa Weber and The Discoverer were amongst the best books I read in 2010. So I too was eagerly awaiting this list. So far I have read only The Jokers by Cossery, which was an interesting book from Egypt. And I have not even heard of the rest except Aira's and Marais' books.

    ReplyDelete