Sunday, April 10, 2011

Sidney Lumet, 1924-2011

I don’t write much about film and other non-book media here much, but I don’t want to go without paying my own brief tribute to Sidney Lumet. I never really got into many of the big 1970s directors that everyone loves so much, but Lumet is someone from that era who I really enjoyed. For me, interest in his work started in the late 1990s when I took my first undergraduate film class: we read his book Making Movies (1996), a fantastic combination of film memoir and introduction to how film works, and watched a number of his movies. To this day, Network (1976) ranks among my favorite films, one that is as important and relevant as ever. I won’t say that every film was a gem, and he made slightly more cop/criminal movies than I care to see, but he had a fantastic career bookended by two great movies, 12 Angry Men (1957) and Before the Devil Knows You’re Dead (2007). I’m sad to see him go.

No comments:

Post a Comment